These Dangly Awareness Ribbon earrings can be made with a wide variety of materials and in the color(s) of the awareness ribbon of your choice. I am using 1/4″ maple plywood.
REMINDER: TEST, MASK (if needed) & DON’T FORGET TO VENT & SET FOCUS HEIGHT
Let’s Make These Earrings!
If you have not worked with the material you are using, I highly recommend making a test cut using a small, simple shape to prior to starting the project to determine the settings you will need to use.
- Download the free design.
- Place your material into the Glowforge.
- Upload the design to the Glowforge dashboard. Move the design to the location where you want to cut the board.
- Set your material to the appropriate setting.
Materials and Supplies Needed:
- 1/4″ maple plywood (I used this plywood from Home Depot)
- paint, dye or stain
- baby wipes
- denatured alcohol
- a sealant of your choice (for this project, I used clear spray)
- earring wire hooks (2)
- jump rings (4)
- jewelry pliers
- optional: sandpaper (about 400 grit)
- Glowforge, laptop
- very small paintbrush
- Cricut weeding tool and Xacto knife
- In the left bar, set the outline of the earrings to “Cut.”
- Then set the markings to “Score.”
- Double check to make sure that your design is not grayed out, which would indicate it is out of print area and needs to be moved.
- Now, press the “Print” button at the top right of the dashboard.
- Press the flashing button! 🙂
- Remove the earrings from the Glowforge.
- Peel off the masking. If desired, clean off scorch marks with baby wipe and little bit of alcohol. If needed, lightly sand with about 400 grit sandpaper.
- Using your paintbrush or acrylic paint pen or whatever colorant you’ve decided to use, color in the ribbon area of the earrings. I prefer to leave the teardrop shape natural wood and not paint or dye it. However, this is just personal preference. A nice color to contrast the color of the ribbon may look very nice!
- Let dry.
- Seal and let dry. I used clear sealant spray. Make sure the sealant is completely dry so you do not leave smudge marks for the next step.
- You’re almost done! Now, using jewelry pliers, attach two jump rings to each earring and then attach the earring wire hooks.
I hope you enjoy making these Dangly Awareness Ribbon Earrings! Please let me know if you have questions. And I would love to hear about what other projects you would like to see next! Please send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or comment below.
See you soon!