Sometimes there are simple things I need around our home and I start thinking, how could I make this? What material could I use? Will it work?
I stop and ask myself these questions:
1. Cost: Is it cost-effective to make it myself?
2. Custom: Does it require something custom that’s difficult to find?
3. Personal: Do I want it personalized or custom to be unique or special for my needs/wants? Something sentimental that will mean so much more if I make it myself?
4. Satisfaction: Would making it myself provide me the satisfaction of having done it myself?
5. Urgency: Do I have enough time to design it (or find a design to purchase) and make it myself?
5. Practicality: Could I buy exactly what I need on Amazon for less than the cost of materials and my time, and be satisfied with this purchase instead of making it myself?
What makes sense to make vs buy?
Don’t get me wrong, now. There are some things that hands-down, no question about it, I’m happy and excited to make. I love knowing I made something from scratch and it’s special and unique. I can look at that physical item and say – I did that! But let’s be realistic. I don’t need to make EVERYTHING. 😀
For example, I was working on a project last year and I needed something to hang an item. I thought I could make something that would work. I wasn’t in a hurry, so I tried making a version of a hook that I thought would work. Let’s just say, it didn’t exactly function how I needed it to. I could have spent a bunch of time finding ways to make it work. But then I went on Amazon and found steel S hooks that were exactly what I needed for super cheap. They worked way better than what I would have been able to make myself. It’s ok to not make everything you can or need or want. I was happy to find what I needed and get it quickly and inexpensively.
On the other hand, sometimes there is something really special that means a lot to me or to someone I know, and making a special item like that brings me joy. For example, September is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month. I want to make something special for someone who helped us on my daughter’s journey. I will make them something with an awareness ribbon similar to that in my Dangly Awareness Ribbon Earrings. This will be special to them, and special to me. It will bring me joy.
Choose what brings you joy.
What have you made that brought you joy? I would love to hear about it!
Until next time,